Sunday, November 22, 2009

Experiments

So when you live way out in the country and stores are not readily available (other than the Irving, which couldn't BE more available, considering it's downstairs), you sometimes have to get creative. Take the other week, when I wanted to make popcorn but was tired of plain old plain old. I wanted sour cream and onion seasoning. So I made some! I found a recipe online, but I didn't have all the ingredients so I improvised. In the end, I think it was something like this. And it is FANTASTIC. It made enough for a small spice jar and we use it whenever we have popcorn now.

Emily's Own Sour Cream and Onion Popcorn Seasoning
2 T powdered milk
1 tsp onion powder
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dill weed
1/2 tsp vinegar

I thought the vinegar was odd, but mixed it in dutifully and the seasoning turned out brilliantly, and it isn't clumping in the spice jar like I thought it would. Grand!

So then a couple nights ago I was going to make honey garlic meatballs. I always use good old VH Honey Garlic sauce. It's my favourite. One of my favourite late-night snack foods is white basmati rice with VH Honey Garlic sauce on it. Odd, but delicious. However, in a burst of creativity I decided to see if I could make my own replica of this deliciousness. So I pulled the jar out of my fridge, looked at the ingredients and tried to see if I could copy it. I tasted and added, so the measurements are guesses, but I tried to measure so that I could do it again!

Emily's Own Knock-Off VH Honey Garlic Sauce
1 cup brown sugar
2-3 T vinegar
3-4 T water
2 T soy sauce
2 T honey
6 cloves of garlic, minced
pinch of salt

I stirred it all together and let it sit in the fridge for several hours so the garlic could really get through it all. Then poured it over the cooked meatballs, let it all heat up and voila - fantastic. Cory was super surprised when I told him that it wasn't VH. PS... meatball trick that my mom taught me: form the meatballs, put them in the pan and then add an inch of water and boil them. That way, you never have to worry about them falling apart as you try to fry them, and all the fat boils off into the water and is gone when you strain them! You don't get that crispy brown coating on the outside, but if you really wanted to you could always throw them back into the pan with a little olive oil and crisp up the outside after they're cooked.

Conclusion? You don't always have to live close to a store to get your favourite items. Also, I need to come up with shorter recipe titles. The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment