Thursday, November 5, 2009

I Love Cooking. The End.

Today's culinary achievments include some absolutely FABULOUS hamburgers, and the best guacamole ever. Almost. I put too much lemon juice in it. But other than that, it was to die for.

Emily's Own Hamburgers
With your thawed ground beef, mix in one strip of bacon, cooked and crumbled, a clove of garlic minced up, a few teaspoons of worchestershire sauce, a dash of cayenne and some good old S&P. I don't do precise measurements, I just throw stuff in... normally I would say do it to taste, but you really don't want to be tasting the raw ground beef (I hope) so you'll just have to take a stab at it. Form this into burgers. I had fried some bacon already to go on top, so I poured off most of the bacon grease from the pan and then threw the burgers in without cleaning it to give them more of a bacon flavour. I like bacon. On the side I sliced up an onion and fried it in olive oil, then threw in a couple teaspoons of brown sugar to give it sweetness and a pretty brown colour. The burgers were served on PC whole grain thin buns (otherwise known as the only bun I will now consume), with mayo, ketchup, relish, mustard (if you're Cory, because I think mustard is only good IN cooking, not ON it), freshly sliced roma tomatoes, bacon, cheddar cheese and lettuce. Very, very messy but very, very good. I did sweet potato fries on the side. Or rather, McCain did sweet potato fries, I just baked them in the oven.

As for the guacamole, it is incredible, and currently calling my name from the fridge. I can't walk by the fridge without grabbing some torilla chips and digging in. Plus it's SUPER good for you! Don't ask me why it is, I just read somewhere that avacados were good for you. Speaking of avacados, fun fact: I absolutely despised and wouldn't go near them until I got pregnant. Then one day at about seven months I was at the Market going to get a wrap, and there was this chicken wrap with guacamole that for some strange reason just seemed to call my name, and I bought it and consumed it and have loved avacado ever since. Can't get enough of the stuff. SO GOOD.

Emily's Own Guacamole
Serves One Very-Hungry-Nursing-Mother: Cory won't go near avacado with a ten foot pole. Take one ripe avacado, scoop out into a bowl. Don't throw out the seed! Finely dice about half a roma tomato, throw it in. Add two cloves of minced garlic (but that's a lot, you could do one, I just LOOOOOOVE garlic), a squirt of lime or lemon juice, a diced up green onion, and a dash of tabasco or hot chili sauce or cayenne or whatever. I did hot chili sauce. Add S&P. Not too much S (the chips are salty), lots and lots of P. Mash all this up with a fork, grab the multigrain tostitos and dig in! Oh yeah, the seed, bury it in the guac to keep it from browning in the fridge. Please don't eat it.

That's it, I can't take this, I'm returning to the fridge.

Eli Update: We got LOADS of smiles today, and a few little giggles too. Much better than yesterday!

1 comment:

  1. So did Cory eat the guacamole? He and Dave B were never fans of the guacamole I would make when I lived with them.

    ReplyDelete