Sunday, November 8, 2009

Sunday!

I'm chomping down on my last "gourmet burger" that was leftover in the fridge, the baby is happily playing with Daddy, and I decided to blog!
Sundays are the best days of the week. You get to see lots of people, eat a delicious lunch, worship God, it's the best! We had the Remembrance Day service at the United Church across the road today, and lunch at Guy and Holly's. I also discovered today that people actually read my blog (hi Brad!).
I made dessert for today. I've been eager to try PW's Coffee Cake Literally, but it's a fairly large cake and I didn't know what I would do with it after I made it. It's far too big for the two of us, and with flu season starting and kids still downing Halloween candy I knew that most of the parents in the church really would not appreciate me bringing their kids cake. So I volunteered to make Sunday's dessert. The cake turned out to be a big hit, it was delicious, but two things were weird:

One - the recipe says to bake for 20-22 minutes. I baked it for 35 minutes and it still wasn't really done all the way through when I took it out.
Two - it was kind of green. Why? I have no idea. But no one complained, and it tasted fantastic.

I also whipped up another Chocolate Sheet Cake. That's the third time I've made it, and we love it. It really doesn't hit its glory until a good two days after it's made, but it rarely makes it that long.

Our day continued with a walk down to Beulah to the park where the kids and Cory played. Eli slept in his stroller, but I think the kid is very blessed, when he DOES get big enough to play, his dad will be willing to play numerous variations of tag with him for hours! His mom on the other hand will be content to watch from the sidelines. But hey, I'll cook him spectacular food when he gets home! He can love me for that.

I often contemplate how blessed we are to have been given such a sweet-tempered, healthy, adorable little baby boy. So often people have difficulties, children with problems such as health issues, developmental problems, even just babies that are really cranky or have colic. God didn't see fit to give us any of that! Maybe he knew we're not mature enough to handle it yet. He's still ironing out our selfishness. Marriage was a huge step toward that, but having a baby is much, much more. In the marriage you depend on each other to do things for one another, but if you didn't do them the other person would still be fine. If I didn't feed Eli and take care of him, he would die. He depends on us for his very life. That quickly teaches you not to be self-centered.

On the flip side of that, Eli himself is SO blessed! He has a mom and a dad who love and adore him and each other, who will stay together and teach him about Christ and give him a good life. No we won't be rich... ever... but he's still so much better off than so many children in the world. God is so good!

And now... he's screaming for me. Enough rambling, must feed a baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment