Thursday, February 4, 2010

Food

Over at the Resurgence blog today, which I check on a semi-regular basis, there is a new post about the top ten healthy foods you should add to your diet. I was quite pleased to see how many of them I already eat on a regular basis, namely apples, avacados, blueberries, garlic, fish, and mushrooms. I've been meaning to start eating more cabbage for a while now, I just need some good ideas of what do DO with it. I don't remember eating cabbage much as a child, and I'm just not sure what to put it in. I'll have to start experimenting. Also, I think I'll pick up some flax seeds and stir them into my granola recipe - there's a simple way to get them into my diet, since I eat granola every morning anyway. Pomegranates scare me a little bit, since they seem rather intimidating to figure out, but the internet will help me on that. Perhaps that can replace the grapes I love to munch on. I actually don't even think I've ever tried eating a pomegranate, but I LOVE pomegranate juice, so surely it can't be that far off. As for red wine - I cook with that a lot, does that count? I have a hard time stomaching the dry wines... they're very strong, but maybe eventually I'll develop a taste for them, who knows. At any rate, six out of ten ain't bad for now. I'll work on the rest of them!

Meanwhile, learning to cook is still a daily task. I love it, cooking is probably my favourite part of the day, but it can also be frustrating. Mostly just when I let ingredients go bad in the fridge... I HATE wasting stuff, but it's hard with only two people! Less and less often do I create a real flop, in fact I can't really remember the last time we hated something that I made. The other night we had spinach salad with hot bacon dressing... oh wow oh wow oh wow. I made steak bites that night too, our hands down favourite way to eat steak. Because we bought a quarter cow this year, eating beef is often an adventure. I pull some unidentifiable cut of meat out of the freezer and have to figure out what to do with it! The t-bone steakes I cook whole, but the bigger, un-named steaks I like to trim, then cut into one inch cubes. Toss them in a little flour and salt and pepper, then fry them up really quickly in super hot butter so they're still a little rare on the inside. Absolutely melt in your mouth, completely takes away that toughness that you get in a bigger steak. I also find it means we eat less of it, which is good too. Leftovers for tomorrow!

Tonight is a beef stew night. I sort of blended together the boeuf bourguignon recipe by Julia Child that I'm sure everyone who even remotely likes to cook has attempted since watching that movie, and PW's Beef Stew with Mushrooms. The Julia Child recipe is ridiculously complex and has way too many steps, but I like the larger variety of ingredients. So sort of like... her ingredients, with PW's preparation method. But cooked way way longer, so the beef is tender. And served on brown rice. Perfection. I made it once before and we almost died it was so delicious. Can't wait to have it again tonight! Now off to trim some beef...

No comments:

Post a Comment