Monday, February 1, 2010

Jesus


For Christmas this year, I bought Eli the Jesus Storybook Bible by Sally Lloyd-Jones. What an excellent decision that was! It's the most beautiful children's Bible I've ever had the pleasure of reading. So many children's Bible's are merely based on the individual stories in the Bible, Sally Lloyd-Jones takes the entire story of God's sovereign plan of redemption through Christ and weaves it through the entire thing. The subtitle is "Every story whispers his name," and it really does! She ends every single tale, Noah and the Ark, Moses and the Red Sea, David and Goliath, Daniel and the Lion's Den, Jonah and the Big Fish, etc., by showing simply and beautifully how that individual story ties in to the bigger picture of God's plan for his people. She doesn't hesistate to present the truths of the Scripture as they really happened, but the book is simple enough for little ones to understand.
Ok... not my little one, quite yet, but that doesn't stop me from reading it to him every single day! He screams while I read. Not angry screams, and not really happy shrieks either - just random yelling. I'm not sure why he does that, but I just ignore him and keep going. I often get choked up as I read it to him, the truth of the Bible is so simple that a little child could understand it, but it's so beautiful that it moves me - who has grown up hearing the word of God all my life - to tears sometimes. The way she writes the Lord's Prayer is especially beautiful. I love the Lord's Prayer, but it can become so rote and dry. She writes:

Hello Daddy!
We want to know you.
And be close to you.
Please show us how.
Make everything in the world right again.
And in our hearts, too.
Do what is best - just like you do in heaven.
And please do it down here, too.
Please give us everything we need today.
Forgive us for doing wrong, for hurting you.
Forgive us just as we forgive other people
when they hurt us.
Rescue us! We need you.
We don't want to keep running away
and hiding from you.
Keep us safe from our enemies.
You're strong God.
You can do whatever you want.
You are in charge.
Now and forever and for always!
We think you're great!
Amen!
Yes we do!


No comments:

Post a Comment