Sunday, July 11, 2010

The Best Pancakes Ever.

I have to share my new favourite pancake recipe with the world. It makes thin, light, delicious pancakes and you would never know that they are incredibly healthy. As in, probably can't get healthier pancakes. Plus, you mix up the batter the night before, so in the morning you just throw in a couple more key ingredients and you're all set. These are the pancakes that Cory mutilated when he so sweetly tried to make them for me a few weeks ago, but done properly they are incredible. Here's the recipe:

The night before, throw into your blender:
1 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup (uncooked) rolled oats
1/2 cup (uncooked) brown rice
Turn the blender on high and let it go for three minutes.
I'm always scared this will wake up Eli, it's so loud, but it hasn't yet. My mom makes these pancakes with a whole cup of brown rice and no oats, because she needs them to be gluten free. They're just as delicious that way too, I just use oats because I like a mix of different types of nutritious grains. You can use other uncooked grains too I'm told, I've just never tried it.
Now you just let it sit, in the blender, on the counter overnight. Some people might worry about the buttermilk going bad or something, but it won't. Even if it sours slightly, it's still good to eat. We eat sour cream and yogurt without worrying about it, and this is just the same. Plus if it bothers you, it gets cooked afterward anyway.
In the morning, add to the blender:
1 egg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon flax seeds (optional, but I always use them)
Blend away for another minute or so, just to break up the flax seeds and get it really well combined.
Heat your skillet and make those pancakes! The batter is a bit on the runny side, but I like that because you end up with thinner pancakes, and I think those are better anyway. I like that it's already in the blender so it's super easy to just pour into the skillet.
In the end, you would never guess that these weren't made with white flour and sugar. But they aren't and that makes them the best thing ever! It's become our Sunday morning favourite. And it's so easy to make them gluten free, if Mom is visiting. A total win on all fronts.

1 comment:

  1. I love that this is gluten-free adaptable :) If you/your mom have any more awesome recipes, feel free to share them! Gluten-free can be great, but I find recommended recipes are always so much less risky :) Thanks Emily!

    ReplyDelete