Thursday, December 23, 2010

My Latest Kick

Smoothies! Ok, I've held off for a long time joining the whole "healthy smoothie" craze, mostly because I wasn't convinced they were that healthy. Throw five or six servings of fruit in a blender and call it healthy? We would never sit down and eat that much sweet fruit in one sitting normally, and I really don't think that much fructose is beneficial. Not to mention that I'm allergic to strawberries, and my stomach won't tolerate raw bananas (weird, I know), two things that are in almost every smoothie ever made. So I didn't bother. But I did know that my Mom and Dad have a smoothie for breakfast every morning, and theirs did look pretty healthy, it just included strawberries and bananas, so I never tried it. But I've been hearing more and more about the "green smoothie" craze that's going around health nuts, and finally decided to give it a shot. It sounded incredibly unappealing to me until I realized that it's not actually green in colour, just in content. It contains greens! Spinach, kale, collard greens, beet greens, what have you. And it's such a fabulous way to eat really quite a large quantity of vegetables, raw, without getting tired of chewing. I'll admit it - I actually like spinach, so I didn't think I needed this because I eat it fairly regularly anyway. However when you put it into a smoothie, you end up eating sooo much more than you would as a salad. And plain kale or collard or beet greens are just kind of yucky. Cooked isn't bad, but not a favourite among the men in my life. Plus the smoothie is just such a good way to work in a few other things that should be eaten regularly but we forget - like flax oil! Anyway, here's what I've been doing and LOVING (I'm sipping one right now!) As per usual, I don't have accurate measurements, but the beauty of smoothies is that it doesn't really matter, you can just add more or less to taste.

Green Smoothie

1/2 to 1 cup raw milk (cow's or goat's, I tend to like cow's the best)
Splash of cream
Couple spoonfuls plain yogurt
1-2 cups organic baby spinach
Teensiest pinch of stevia
Splash of flax seed oil
Splash of maple syrup EDIT: I don't add this anymore!
blend
About 1 cup frozen mixed berries (I use blueberries and raspberries)
Blend until combined

So delicious! Because Eli seemed sleepy today and a bit out of sorts, and I reeeeally don't want him catching the flu that I just recovered from, I also threw in a couple of 1,000 IU Vitamin D tablets and blended them right in with the smoothie. For mine, I just drink it right out of the blender. For Eli I mix smoothie with a bit more milk (to make it runny enough to flow through a sippy cup) and added 4 D-drops to get loads of Vitamin D into his little system. I really don't want the poor baby sick before Christmas!

I've toyed with the idea of adding a raw egg in there too, and probably will at some point, but it's grossing me out a tiny bit right now, especially with my still touchy stomach. Last night I made a different recipe, with milk, flaked almonds, flaked coconut, an organic apple and blueberries. Delicious, but I actually prefer the spinach. Carrot is a good ingredient to add as well I'm told.

Anyway, it's just my lastest phase and we'll see how long I stay on it. For now though, I feel very good knowing I'm putting good, raw, organic food into our bellies. Hope it keeps us well through the Christmas season!

No comments:

Post a Comment