Monday, January 31, 2011

Banana Bread

Need to write down this recipe quickly before I forget it - I just made, hands down, the most deliciously healthy banana bread I've ever had. I have an old standby recipe for banana bread that we love, but today I decided to play around with it to see if I couldn't come up with something better, and hit GOLD. This is the most moist and delicious banana bread I have ever tasted in my life, and this is just day one! I usually find that baked goods taste best the day after they're made, but I'm not sure this could possibly get any better. Anyway, I'm quickly writing down the changes I made before they leave my head!

Emily's Own (Healthy!) Banana Bread
1 stick (1/2 cup) softened butter
3/4 cup raw honey
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 large fresh egg
2 ripe organic bananas
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups healthy flour (I used a combination of 1 cup stone ground whole wheat, 1/2 cup stone ground spelt, 1/4 cup kamut and 1/4 cup quinoa, but all whole wheat would be great too!)
1 cup chocolate chips (optional but I love them - not going to pretend they're healthy though! You could also use 1 cup of chopped nuts to keep it strictly sugar free.)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In the stand mixer, cream the butter and honey until smooth. Add the bananas, cream until smooth. Add yogurt and egg and combine. Add baking soda, salt and vanilla, blend. Add flour and stir on low just until combined. Stir in chocolate chips. Spoon into well greased loaf pan or muffin tins. Bake 20-25 minutes for muffins, or 50-55 minutes for a loaf, depending on the size.

For me this made enough for one large-ish loaf and 6 muffins, but you could do all muffins or divide between two smaller loaf pans or whatever. All I know is, I'm never going back to the original recipe which called for white flour and sugar. This honestly tastes better than that recipe. I think I've found a new classic for our family :)

No comments:

Post a Comment