Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Peaceful

I'm so enjoying this stage with Eli. Sure he's getting into things more, today he knocked over the garbage can and spilled garbage all over the floor, then got into the clean-but-not-yet-folded laundry and spread the socks all over the house, making it very difficult to find matching pairs when I went to fold it, then pulled all his books off the shelf, but I really love this age. He's consistent, which is the best part. Still taking two naps a day of at least an hour each, allowing me time to relax and/or get housework done, then off to bed sometime between 6:30 and 7, not to be heard from again until about 7:30. That's heavenly. I'm pretty good in the mornings, don't know if I'd really call myself a "morning person" but as long as it's sometime after 7 I'm good to get up. Before 7 makes me very grumpy.
He's interacting way more, babbling at me and playing with me. He wants to have pillow fights or chase me around with his toy hammer laughing hysterically. He eats anything and can for the most part feed himself, making dinner time a lot easier when I only have to prepare one meal. He gives me hugs and kisses of his own accord - albeit not very often - and shows more and more affection every day. He's walking, which is so nice. I know a lot of people dread when their babies learn to walk but I love it, it's so much easier just to put him down and let him go without worrying about where he's crawling. Pregnancy is growing on me so the other day in the grocery store I HAD to go to the bathroom. I've avoided this so far when it's just the two of us because I didn't know what I would do with him (hold him in my arms? Awkward. Put him on the bathroom floor? Disgusting), but now that he'll stand I could just put him down.
His latest thing is that he's finally starting to like books! I haven't been able to get him very interested in them up to this point, although I kept trying, but lately he's been picking books off the shelf and bringing them to me to read to him. Depending on the book he might only make it through a couple pages, but at least he's interested. His favourite book right now is Snuggle Wuggle, which he brings me five or six times a day and wants read through at least twice every time, but a close second is The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry and the Big Hungry Bear, which I had to read him four times in a row yesterday. He giggles through it every time.
Anyway, my point is that I like the routine. The peacefulness of nap time and being able to put him down and know that I have at least an hour. The consistency. I'm enjoying this while it lasts, because in a few short months the confusing chaos of adjusting to another new person is going to begin again. No more sleeping through the night... not that I can really do that when I'm pregnant anyway, but at least I don't have to get up and rock a baby. No more sitting through entire meals, no more knowing exactly when nap time will be. Hopefully with this baby though I'll be able to establish more of a routine early on, since I'll be trying to line him/her up with Eli's schedule. This time I'll know what I'm doing a bit more. This time I'll also have a toddler to deal with. *sigh*
That being said, I really can't wait for our family to grow again and to meet this little person. On Friday we find out what we're having!! SO excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment