Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Playgroup

I did it! I broke out of my comfortable rut of routine and took Eli to playgroup this morning at the Browns Flat School. I've been meaning to do this for a long time, I really wanted to meet other moms in the area, but I just find it so hard to buck up, call the school (I DESPISE making phone calls), and GO. I had so many excuses... it's right during Eli's naptime, it messes up our routine for the day etc., but I knew that I just needed to get out a little more. I really do like meeting new people, and I love getting out of the house, but that is balanced by my hatred of new places or buildings. I usually avoid unfamiliar stores like the plague. This is why I still shop at Superstore, even though Sobeys is closer and more convenient. I know where everything is. The Browns Flat School is hardly a big scary building or anything, and I've been there enough that I knew where I was going, I just kept putting it off. Thank goodness I HAVE been there before or I might never have gone.
Anyway, it was a lot of fun and I was really impressed with the program. I was used to the Mom's group in Grand Bay that I had gone to for a while, which was pretty much completely unstructured. People showed up whenever, left whenever and the kids just played the whole time. Playgroup starts with play time, then a craft, a snack, storytime and songs afterward. Still relaxed enough that I don't feel pressure when my one-year-old wants to wander around rather than sit and colour, but nice to have that structure too. Today they coloured placemats that will be laminated for them next week, had yogurt, crackers, watermelon and juice for snack (I skipped out on the juice...) read a story and sang a few songs. Eli preferred to be a passive listener during the songs, which is fine by me. It was nice to meet a few new people, reconnect with a friend that I don't get to see very often, and just get out of the house. We don't have the car during the day so it's nice that it's within walking distance, even though it takes a lot of energy to bundle up myself and a toddler and get us out the door and down the street (being 22 weeks pregnant doesn't help).
Anyway, I'm excited, proud of myself for actually going, and pleased overall with the whole program. Looking forward to next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment