Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Naptime

Naptime is confusing and frustrating me!!

Eli still takes two naps a day... sort of not really. He wants to go down at 10, naps for about an hour then gets up. But I'm having a harder and harder time getting him down for his nap at 2 - I'll put him down and hear him playing happily in his crib, but not sleeping, for about half an hour, when he starts to get bored and wails to get up. I've been leaving him hoping that he will sleep and he'll kind of doze/wail for another half an hour until he gets too frustrated and starts actually yelling and I have to go get him up. Then by bedtime he's exhausted and cranky!

So I want to start trying to just skip the morning nap and put him down around 1. I've done this successfully a few times, but he SHOULD be napping about 2 hours if I do that, and he won't! He still only naps like an hour, and then is SUPER tired by bedtime.

Today I was determined he would skip his morning nap, but at 10 he walked into his room, rattled the bars of his crib and looked at me plaintively. I asked him if he wanted to take a nap, and he responded in the affirmative. I took him back out and changed him to see if he wouldn't perk up a bit, but he rubbed his eyes and immediately toddled back into his room. When I put him in his crib he happily smiled and flopped down. What do you do with that? I feel so sorry for him when he's obviously so tired and wants to sleep and I'm forcing him to stay awake.

Been Googling this problem and a few people suggested trying to push back the time of his morning nap by about 10-15 minutes every day or two and just forgetting about the afternoon nap if he really doesn't want to take it. Maybe I'll try that.

Tomorrow is playgroup (if it isn't canceled because of weather) so we'll be out in the morning and he won't get the morning nap. He does fine if we're out somewhere because it's exciting enough for him.

I'm sure this will work itself all out soon enough, and I probably should be a little more relaxed about the whole thing, it's just hard when you don't know what to do...

No comments:

Post a Comment