Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Chicken Spinach Lasagna

I wish sometimes that I were good at taking photos so I could include interesting pictures with my blog posts. But the truth is, all we have is a little Fujifilm point and shoot, and I'm not very good at using it to boot. So our pictures are all just so-so. This is hard when you have a little one that you are trying to snap pictures of, it's so hard to get him to smile or hold a cute pose and then just when you get the perfect cute smile or pose, that picture is blurry or dark.
But this is beyond the scope of what I actually mean to post about, the Chicken Spinach Lasagna I made last night. It was a big hit in our family and I'll definitely be making it again. There are lots of recipes out there on the internet for this, but they all called for cream of mushroom soup (which I don't keep in the house, too much corn starch and other junk!), and/or ricotta, which is wonderful stuff but I just didn't have any on hand. That being said, this recipe would probably be even yummier with a few layers of ricotta or cottage cheese in it too, just stir in a beaten egg, some parmesan and chopped herbs and you'd be good to go. But this is how I made it, and we all LOVED it. As always, all measurements are very approximate!

Chicken Spinach Lasagna
1 small onion
3 cloves garlic
1/2 a head of broccoli
1/2 package mushrooms
Finely dice all vegetables and saute for a few minutes in olive oil, until soft...ish. 
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup cream
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 egg, beaten
Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Sprinkle in flour, whisk constantly for 5 minutes until roux is slightly browned. Stir in milk, cream and broth. Continue whisking constantly until sauce starts to thicken. Temper the egg by slowly drizzling 1/4 of sauce into it while beating vigorously. Then pour egg mixture into sauce.
2/3 cup Parmesan cheese
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp Mrs. Dash Extra Spicy
1 1/2 cups cooked diced leftover chicken
Sauteed vegetables from above
2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
Add to sauce and stir. 
12 whole wheat lasagna noodles
2 cups grated mozzerella
Fresh organic baby spinach

Now assemble! I don't cook the noodles ahead of time, lots of people do, but I've had more success just soaking them in cold water for 10-20 minutes while I get the rest of the lasagna ready. Easier that way too!
In a 9x13 casserole dish, layer 4 noodles, 1/3 of the sauce/veggie/chicken mixture, a generous layer of baby spinach, and 1 cup mozzerella. Repeat. Then layer 4 more noodles, the last of the sauce, and sprinkle parmesan cheese over the top. Cover with tin foil and bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes, remove the foil and bake 10 more minutes. Take it out of the oven and let it stand for 10-15 minutes before serving.

Very yummy and a big hit around these parts! Would have been even better if I'd had a salad to serve with it, but I didn't have any lettuce on hand. Please note that I write these recipes up as much for my own benefit as for others, since I like inventing meals but don't have a great memory and can never remember what I did the next time I want to cook something. Now I can look back the next time I have leftover chicken and remember what I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment