Sunday, March 6, 2011

Chocolate Zucchini Muffins

Another one that I must write down before I forget what I did. We love these spicy chocolate muffins, and the zucchini keeps them nice and moist. I've heard lots of people say that this is a good way to sneak in some vegetables, I'm a little dubious about this since I don't think zucchini has a TON of nutritional value, and there's only 1 cup in a dozen chocolate muffins. There are better ways to get your vegetables than hiding them in dessert, but these are awfully yummy, and sugar free and whole wheat (as always!). Cory served them to his men's Bible Study without telling them that they were healthy and they all loved them. That's the real test! Here's the recipe:

Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
1/2 cup butter, melted
2/3 cup honey
2 large eggs
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp cinnamon
dash nutmeg
dash cloves
1 cup grated zucchini
optional:  1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (so not healthy, but soooo yummy)

Throw all the ingredients except the zucchini and chips into the stand mixer. Mix, then stir in zucchini and optional chocolate chips by hand. Drop by quarter cup into greased muffin tins (or lined with a cupcake paper, if you're lazy like me). Bake at 325 degrees for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. It's always 25 minutes for me. Makes a dozen muffins.

And for this one, don't skip the toothpick test. I usually just eyeball things to see if they're done, but these take a little more TLC to make sure you don't have raw batter in there.

A yummy, reasonably healthy treat great for a quick breakfast on the go, as a dessert for Cory's lunch, or a mid-afternoon snack with coffee. Yesterday Cory pulled one out, spooned Chocolate Pudding all over it and downed it. I take it as a compliment to my cooking!

1 comment:

  1. Yum! These look great!

    Thanks for the visit! We'll look forward to having you around!

    ReplyDelete