Monday, March 28, 2011

New Things

I'm trying to set a goal for myself of trying some new foods, more specifically some new vegetables. Honestly, even though we eat a lot of vegetables, I push my cart through the produce section of the grocery store and always grab my staples. Asparagus, broccoli, carrots, onions, garlic, spinach, peppers, mushrooms, sometimes cauliflower or cabbage or sweet potatoes, green onions, zucchini... all delicious and nutritious, but I sometimes feel the need to break out of my box a little bit and try something new. So this week, I grabbed a bag of baby bok choy. I've never tried bok choy before, but after watching this video on youtube, I felt pretty confident that I could try it. And you know what? It was delicious! I loved it! Cory's not home tonight but I'm pretty sure he'll like it too. Eli wouldn't touch it but I didn't push him too hard, he decided not to take a nap today after a 10 minute snooze in the car so he's a bit touchy. I'm giving him lots of space. That means toast for supper. Anyway, I was so pleased that it turned out to be so delicious and that excites me. What else is out there? What world of delicious vegetables am I missing out on? I'm going to make more of an effort, especially once the farmers markets are open for the summer, to try some different things that I might not have thought of before.

After supper tonight I had a serious craving for ice cream (which is why I don't keep it in the house!), so I decided to do battle with my blender and make myself a mango lassi. My blender leaks terribly, which is why I almost never dig it out because it involves having to stuff paper towel all around the seal before using it. I asked for a new one for my birthday though (July) so I'm hoping I get that :) Anyway, the mango lassi is fantastic and very much satisfied my ice cream craving. Just frozen mango chunks, plain yogurt, honey and a squirt of lime juice. Thick and creamy and sweet. Perfect.

One last food related note: due to my blender's breakdown I no longer am able to make my favourite pancakes, but until I can start making those again I've been making a (very) adapted version of Pioneer Woman's sour cream pancakes, from her cookbook. I'm going to share it here, because I've changed the recipe enough that I don't think I'm breaking copyright or anything. I don't even think you CAN copyright a recipe actually. Anyway, here's what I do. We had these for breakfast this morning, yummy!

Whole Wheat Yogurt Pancakes
1 1/2 cups plain yogurt
2/3 cup flour (whole wheat and/or spelt, I use a mixture)
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat your skillet to medium and get out some butter for the pan. Place the yogurt, flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl and stir together gently until just combined. Lumps are fine. In a seperate bowl or glass measuring cup, beat the eggs and vanilla with a fork. Add to the batter and stir very gently. It's ok if it's not completely combined and there's still some swirling. Using lots of butter in the pan, add by the 1/4 cup and cook 2-3 minutes per side. Keep warm in the oven while you make the rest. Makes about 10 pancakes. Serve with maple syrup.

I love this recipe because it includes plain yogurt (super good for you!), lots of eggs for protein, and no sugar or baking powder. I try to avoid baking powder if possible because of the aluminum and other chemicals in it.

I was going to write about things other than food, but I have a little boy to get into bed now. Another time...

No comments:

Post a Comment