Thursday, April 14, 2011

Back to Normal

My house is beginning - beginning - to look like normal again. Hallelujah! Life returns. It's frustrating when you start to feel better and look around at the chaos that was once your home. Not only are you well behind on normal tasks, there are also extra tasks that really ought to be done now that the sickness is leaving. All the bedding should be washed, surfaces need to be wiped down and sanitized, and the whole place should really be aired out.
Not to mention that when you make a lot of things from scratch, you tend to start running low. There's no bread because you haven't made any, we ran out of mayonnaise and I had no energy to make more, the freezer is void of chicken broth and we're running low on yogurt. ACK! Being a "do-it-yourself-er" is great, until you can't.
But like I said, I'm starting to get there. We have mayo in the fridge again. Cory ended up buying a loaf of bread downstairs so I have another couple days before I have to worry about that. Broth is simmering on the stove, laundry is just about caught up on, sheets are in the dryer and you can see the living room floor again. Not that it's anything pretty to look at considering how many crumbs made their way onto it, but at least it's visible.
Wanted to post quickly about dinner last night, because I was struck while throwing it together that something so elegant and gourmet looking could be so easy. Cory came home from work and was concerned that I had gone "all out" in making a nice dinner, but honestly it was so simple. Just proves that elegant does not have to be a lot of work! I made Lemon Basil Pasta, but added lots of garlic too. I firmly believe that everything is better with garlic. This simple cream sauce tossed with pasta was very easy to make, and that's the most complicated part of the whole dinner! We also had roasted asparagus (trim asparagus, toss with olive oil, sea salt and pepper and bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes) and steamed mussels. I love buying mussels because they're relatively inexpensive (about $4 for a package and that lasts us two meals) and seem like such a special treat. Also SO easy to prepare, just rinse and then steam for 5 minutes. I like them best steamed in white wine, but I didn't have any so plain water it was. Still fantastic. I'm just happy I could still make a yummy dinner with minimal effort, and very little cutting and chopping. It was a good supper.
My boy is waking up now, and must be tended to I suppose. Time to fold more laundry...

1 comment:

  1. Your post gives me hope that maybe, someday, my house will be clean again and laundry will be done.

    Also, YUM to roasted asparagus. Best way to eat it bar none!

    ReplyDelete