Friday, April 8, 2011

Ketchup

I think I posted about this before - but since I just wrote up my homemade ketchup recipe for an e-mag that friends of ours are starting up I thought I might as well throw it up on my blog too.

Here's the little blurb about the e-mag in case anyone is interested:

My wife and I would like to present our new online magazine publication, "Tell it on the Mountain". Reaching people here and around the world. There will be interesting articles to inspire you, How To's, Children's Page, Teen Page, LOL Page, Classifieds, Advertisements and Much, Much, More. Coming Soon! If you are interested in advertising your business, or a free issue to your inbox, contact us at tellitonthemountain@live.ca Looking forward to hearing from you
By: Sherwin Mac Burnie Sr.

I'll be contributing recipes, healthy living tips, and whatever else I come up with I guess! Cory will also be writing articles on various topics, this month he's writing something for the "Teen Page." Anyway, here's my contribution for this month!


                It’s fast approaching that time of year again. Barbeque season! This summer, instead of grabbing that regular old bottle of Heinz, why not try making your own ketchup? By making your own, you can control the flavor and ingredients to make it exactly the way you like it, and you can also avoid the high sugar content of store bought ketchup. Making your own ketchup is easier than you might think, and while there are as many different methods and recipes as there are bottles on the grocery store shelf, here is my preferred way to make everyone’s favourite condiment.
Homemade Ketchup
1 small onion, roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
½ tsp salt
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
1/3 cup vinegar (apple cider or white wine)
1/3 cup molasses
1 28oz. can diced tomatoes

                 Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and salt and sauté until the onion is soft. Pour in the vinegar and scrape the bottom of the pan. Add the molasses and the diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil and simmer for anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 ½ hours, depending on how thick you want your ketchup to be. Now taste and add more vinegar, salt or molasses to taste. I like sweeter ketchup so I always add more molasses. You can also add any spices you might like at this point. We like a bit of cayenne, cinnamon and cloves in ours, but feel free to add whatever you think might be good. How about curried ketchup? Or hot sauce ketchup? Taste and adjust, this is the fun part! Once you like the way your ketchup tastes, let it cool down and then blend until smooth. If you have an immersion blender this would be a great time to use it, otherwise put the ketchup in the blender or food processer in batches. Store in the fridge, either in a jar or funnel into an empty squeeze bottle. Enjoy, knowing you’re doing good for your body and your taste buds.

No comments:

Post a Comment