Friday, April 29, 2011

Leftover Egg Whites

One of the problems when making your own mayonnaise is the leftover egg whites. The miser in me cringes against dumping them out, but I seem to struggle with what to do with them. Leftover yolks are fine, I just add them to scrambled eggs, but I don't like my eggs with extra whites in them, and there's not a ton of nutrition in them, though there's lots of protein.
I've tried a few different things - some people suggest freezing them for future recipes, which is certainly a good option except that I know myself, and I know that frozen egg whites would languish in my freezer for months until they were freezer burnt beyond recognition. There's always simple meringue cookies, but I'm not a big fan of those, especially after a day.
So my current favourite thing to do? Make macaroons! There are lots of different, fancy recipes out there that call for whipping the whites or sweetened condensed milk, but I follow this simple method and they turn out delicious every time. I usually have two egg whites after making mayonnaise, but since they don't come in a standard size you have to play with amounts a bit to get things right.

Throw the egg whites in a bowl. Add a pinch of salt and a splash of vanilla. Now sweetener: obviously sugar is traditional, but I really like them with maple syrup. For two large egg whites, I'll use a bit less than 1/2 cup of maple syrup. That's plenty sweet enough for me, but if you really like things sweet you could use more. Now break out the elbow grease and give this a good whisk until it's well combined. It will be a bit foamy on top. Now just add enough unsweetened coconut to make a scoopable cookie "dough." I also add flaked almonds, because they are delicious. So probably around 2 - 2 1/2 cups of coconut and almonds, but don't start with that much, just add until it holds together. Then scoop by the tablespoon onto a greased (don't be like me and forget that step or you'll be chiseling them off with a knife) cookie sheet, and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, until they're starting to brown. Pull them out and resist for another 15-20 minutes until they firm up a bit, then dive in! After all, there's no sugar right? And coconut and almonds are both super good for you. So fun to have a sweet cookie that you can eat pretty much guilt-free. And for those who don't like fat (not me obviously), they're pretty much fat free too, except for the almonds. Of course you can make these just as easily without almonds, I just love them.
And there you have it, cookies from start to finish in about 20 minutes, and you didn't waste those egg whites. Perfect!

1 comment: