Saturday, April 30, 2011

Potential Disaster

Well, tonight I decided to use up the leftover cup of grated zucchini I had in the fridge from making Chocolate Zucchini Muffins for the Wellness Fair last night. I decided that I wanted to make brownies, since I was tired of muffins. I googled the internet for Chocolate Zucchini Brownies and found LOTS of recipes, but nothing that was really what I wanted. My criteria for a recipe were: cocoa powder, not real chocolate (I didn't have any) not a huge amount of sugar to make it easier to sub with honey; fudgy, not cakey; only 1 cup of zucchini because that's all I had; and lots of butter, mostly because I wanted to try substituting some of the butter with peanut butter but still wanted it nice and moist. I couldn't find ANYTHING. So... I went to the kitchen, and using an old stand-by recipe as a very vague starting place, I proceeded to not do anything it said and made brownies. They are in the oven now. I'm going to hold back on posting this until I can give a verdict, because I'm a little dubious as to how they're going to turn out. But here's what I did before I forget completely...

Potential Disaster Chocolate Peanut Butter Zucchini Brownies

In a large bowl, I combined:
1 1/2 cups of spelt/whole wheat flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
In a microwavable bowl:
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup peanut butter
...melt these together in the microwave, then stir in
1 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla
...until smooth.
Pour into the dry ingredients, give it a quick stir to cool it down then add
2 eggs
1 cup grated zucchini
...and stir until thoroughly combined.

Pour into a greased 9x9 pan and bake at 350 degrees for... well... I'm not exactly sure yet as it's still in the oven. I will get back to you on that, but I set the initial timer for 40 minutes. We shall see.

Next day final verdict: This recipe turned out a moist, dense, delicious... chocolate cake. Definitely not the fudgy brownies I was going for. I know what I did wrong though, my original recipe did not call for baking soda, but I added it in because I was worried about the whole thing turning into a brick. I should have not worried and just let the eggs do the work, or only added perhaps the teensiest little pinch of baking soda.
I didn't think you would be able to taste the peanut butter because there's only 1/4 cup in the whole recipe, but you can totally taste it and it adds great flavour. Overall, this was a very yummy experiment. I'm just disappointed that my brownie craving has to remain unfulfilled. But at least I didn't waste all those ingredients! I have a yummy chocolate cake to show for it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment