Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Tuna Casserole

Baby Update: No baby yet. Went for a walk last night, took Eli to playgroup today and jumped around, went for a walk in the graveyard this afternoon and skipped and hopped, took another walk tonight, climbed on the playset at the school... nothing. Heavy sigh. Learning to wait. Nine days until my EDD.

When you think of healthy food, tuna casserole is not exactly the first thing that pops into your mind. Mine either. And I'm not even going to pretend that my tuna casserole recipe is extraordinarily healthy, but with the right ingredients you can get a delicious meal that's really actually pretty good for you. For me, tuna casserole is comfort food. It's one of my favourite things to eat, has been since I was a kid. My mom used to make this a lot, and while the ingredients have changed slightly to reflect my food convictions, it's still essentially the exact same tuna casserole I grew up eating. The best thing about it? You don't need any fresh ingredients, so if you're running low on groceries it's a great "pantry meal," and it goes from start to finish in about 15 minutes. Very quick and easy supper... especially if you're almost nine months pregnant and don't feel like cooking!

Curried Tuna Casserole
1 box whole wheat or brown rice pasta (I usually use macaroni or shells)
1/2 cup homemade mayonnaise
1/2 cup raw milk
2 cans flaked tuna in water, drained
1-2 cups frozen peas (however much you want, I just dump in a bunch)
1 tablespoon curry powder (less if you aren't as big a curry fan as me)
sea salt and pepper to taste
2-3 cups grated cheddar cheese (again, according to your taste!)

Cook the pasta according to package directions. While it's cooking, grate the cheese and in a large skillet, stir together everything except the cheese and let it heat up. When the pasta is done cooking, drain and rinse and add to the skillet. Stir it all together, then add the cheese and stir until it melts.
And that's it! You're done! Throw it on a plate and enjoy some serious comfort food. If you use decent ingredients, tuna casserole doesn't have to be terribly unhealthy. And you could always add in some more veggies if you wanted, but when I'm making it I want it on the table, FAST.

Last thing, wanted to share this video I found on youtube today. These homemade veggie burgers look incredibly yummy, and I actually can't wait to try them. I'll probably put bacon on mine ;) And topped with avacado!? Such a good idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment