Thursday, June 23, 2011

Picnics and Planning

Isn't it always the case that we come up with all these grand ideas for what our summer will entail, then suddenly it's September and nothing got done? Well I'm determined to do better at that this summer. To seize the moment and actually DO fun things. That started yesterday - I was daydreaming about a picnic on the beach and then figured why the heck not? Why not tonight? It's a beautiful night, Victoria Beach is about 5 minutes down the road, and we're not busy. So we went!

And it was simply lovely. I made us some tuna sandwiches, some veggies and fruit and cookies, and we spent a beautiful summer evening soaking up the sun. Eli didn't remember beaches from last summer obviously, so he was pretty fascinated by the sand.
Cory helped him make sandcastles. Despite my extensive preparations, I somehow neglected to bring any toys with us. Not sure how that slipped my mind - I brought everything else in the house that is even remotely picnic-related. But hey, who needs toys when you have plastic cups! Eli had a great time scooping up water and sand and dumping it out again. He was also WAY too excited to eat, I only managed to get a couple of carrots and some blueberries into him.
Theo was his normal self - hungry! I don't know how much he weighs now but I'm sure that he's a much bigger baby than Eli was. It seems so strange to have this blond haired, hefty little boy after Eli, who was slim and had very dark hair. Anyway, as long as I kept him fed every 30 minutes or so Theo was happy to hang out on the picnic blanket. I tried dipping his feet into the river and he instantly screamed bloody murder. Eli was also much more relaxed about things like that... he probably would have shivered and squirmed but he wasn't a screamer. Theo's got more of a defined opinion about the way things should be. You can tell from his scowling little face!
All in all, it was a great evening and we will definitely be heading back to the beach again this summer. Probably not for another picnic, that was more work than I had counted on, but for swimming and sunning ourselves it's great.

In other summer plans, Cory and I are going to the drive-in this Friday! I'm so excited to go on a date with my husband, it seems like it's been forever since we've gone out just the two of us. And ok, it won't be just the two of us because Theo's coming too, but he will most likely be sleeping the majority of the time. We're going to see Mr. Popper's Penguins, which Cory is convinced I won't like since it is one of my favourite childhood books and they've got Jim Carrey playing Mr. Popper. He's probably right, I will probably just be let down, but I still want to see it! The second show is the new X-men movie, we're BOTH excited to see that.

I hear a little boy stirring in my room that will soon start screeching to be fed. I better go get him before that happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment