Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Salad Dressing



About a year ago I decided that I was going to stop buying salad dressing at the store. Have you ever read the ingredients on one of those bottles of yummy Kraft? Especially if you're buying the "lite" variety, there is a lot of unrecognizable stuff in there. Some people choose to eat their salad without any dressing, but I'm not down with that. For one thing... it doesn't taste good. And for another, a properly made dressing will not only enhance the flavour of your salad, it also helps your body digest it. All those raw veggies can be a bit hard on the digestion, but the enzymes from the dressing can really help your body get it down. Plus it's a great way to work in some raw olive oil, because I don't know about you but I don't exactly want to just drink the stuff, even though it's super good for you raw.
Despite the fact that it was over a year ago when I decided to stop buying dressings from the store, it took a while for us to use up what I had ahead, since I had a few bottles in the cupboard too. All those preservatives means it lasts a very long time! Anyway, it's finally out of the house and now whenever I make a salad I take the extra five minutes and whip up a quick dressing to go with it. I'm still experimenting with different ones, but I'm going to post my three favourites here.

Honey Mustard Salad Dressing
In a small mason jar, combine:
1 part white wine vinegar
3-4 parts olive oil
splash of flax oil (optional)
squirt of dijon mustard
spoonful of raw honey
sea salt and pepper to taste
Cover the jar and shake it all up!

Creamy Ranch Dressing
In a small bowl, combine:
1 part homemade mayonnaise
1 part homemade sour cream
thin with raw milk or buttermilk, if desired
Stir in to taste:
Worcestershire sauce
fresh parsley and/or fresh chives
dill
minced garlic -or- Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herb (my preference!)
salt and pepper
cayenne pepper if you want
Preferably let sit in the fridge for a couple hours before serving

Vanilla Poppyseed Dressing
In a small bowl, combine:
1 part homemade mayonnaise
3 parts plain yogurt
splash of real maple syrup
squirt of vanilla extract
poppy seeds

And those are my favourite dressings! Deliciously healthy. The only thing about making your own is that they really don't keep that well, a couple of days at MOST, so I generally just make enough for that night's dinner. Now that I'm used to it it's really not that much more work to whip up a quick dressing rather than reach for the bottle of GMO, processed corn products and canola oil.

One final thing: must share the link to this recipe for healthy chocolate peanut butter fudge. I made a half batch last night and it was TO DIE FOR. I've eaten almost the whole thing, and I don't even feel guilty because it's healthy! Ok I feel a little guilty because Cory's going to come home and realize that I ate it all while he was at work, but I'll just make another pan. Great way to work some coconut oil into your diet, SUPER easy to make, and sooo rich and sweet and tasty. This will become a staple in our house for sure! Since I don't have a food processor I cheated a little bit and just melted all the ingredients together in a sauce pan. You have to be careful with this because you don't want to cook the nutrients out of the coconut oil, but I used the very lowest heat setting and worked quickly. So so so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment