Friday, June 17, 2011

Summer Eats

Pioneer Woman recently uploaded a new post to her cooking blog about iced coffee. As soon as I saw it I couldn't wait to try it! I'm sipping on a tall glass right now and it is divine. Perfect for a hot summer's afternoon!
[Photo courtesy Pioneer Woman]

 The best part is, it doesn't have to be ridiculously unhealthy if done right. I realize that the jury's still out on coffee - a lot of people think it's not very good for you - but it's only half a cup. The other half of the cup is local raw milk, and I sweeten it with stevia. Cool, sweet and refreshing. 

Along with my iced coffee I'm also munching on some oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. I took the original recipe, which called for 1 1/2 cups of sugar, and instead used 1/4 cup organic sugar, 1/2 cup honey, and a bit of stevia. Use whole wheat flour instead of white and butter instead of margarine and you've got yourself a pretty healthy little cookie!

Last but not least, I made these veggie burgers for supper last night. They were to DIE for. 




Cory even said that he thought he might prefer them to regular hamburgers, they were so flavourful and delicious. Now that's high praise, coming from my meat-loving husband! I have to agree with him, these were fantastic. I pretty much followed the recipe - I didn't have shallots or spring garlic so I used green onions and regular garlic instead, didn't have a jalapeno so I just stirred in some red pepper flakes, I added an egg to help it stick together and left out the bread crumbs, because I wanted to be able to recommend it as a gluten free recipe. I don't know if the bread crumbs would have helped it stick together better, because the burgers were on the crumbly side, but we didn't mind the mess. You just had to handle them carefully! I served them on some homemade whole wheat buns I had in the freezer, and we topped them with homemade ketchup, relish, mayo, cheddar cheese, sliced tomatoes, romaine lettuce and - as a special treat - bacon. We're obviously not vegetarians! Avocado would have been perfection but I didn't have any on hand. 

I figured there was enough veggies in the burgers themselves that I didn't even bother serving anything on the side, but a small salad might be nice. Since you've already got bread in the bun and rice in the burger, potatoes on the side seemed like carb overload to me.

And those are a few things I've been cooking up since the weather got nice. If you try anything though, try those veggie burgers. Seriously yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment