Thursday, June 16, 2011

Thinner Thursday

Now that the baby is out it's time to shed that baby weight. Theo is only three weeks old, so I have three more weeks until I can start seriously exercising again, but that doesn't mean that I can't work on eating healthy, avoiding the junk and going for lots of walks.
This morning was the first nice day after several days of rain, so the boys and I went for a walk. I was feeling energized so instead of heading out the back road (nice and flat!) we headed around the Beulah campground. I'm not sure how long this is, I'm thinking it's about 4km, but it's got HILLS. Pushing the double stroller makes it a lot more work - Cory and I walked around last week but he pushed the stroller. I was huffing and puffing then, so I did have to stop a few times to catch my breath when I was on my own. But the good thing about walking around Beulah is that once you've started and you've gone down the hill, you have no choice but to keep going. There's no other way to get home than to climb back up! I always get to the bottom and think Why on earth did I decide to do this? but am always pleased with myself once it's done.
On Tuesday we walked out to Paisley's to pick up milk and eggs. Getting our milk and eggs from them is another good motivator to get me out to take a walk - if I don't go, Eli has no milk to drink. That's a problem! It's about 1km to their house, but it's not a difficult walk. The hardest part is lugging that huge, awkward stroller up and down the 21 stairs to our apartment! There's no room to store it at the foot of the stairs, so I have to bring it up every time. It's good though - just another reason to get me moving.

I tried something new for breakfast this morning, a recipe from Nourishing Traditions for Thin Herb Frittatas. Soooo yummy, I will definitely be making them again. Also a good excuse to use the herbs that are growing on my windowsill. I made these by whisking together in a large bowl:

4 farm fresh eggs
fresh basil
fresh parsely
fresh thyme
dried chives (fresh would obviously be better!)
2 tablespoons parmesan
2 tablespoons homemade sour cream
sea salt and freshly ground pepper

How many times can you use the word "fresh" in one recipe? Anyway, I heated my cast iron skillet, poured in some olive oil and added the egg mixture 1/4 cup at a time to create thin egg "pancakes." They were so so so yummy! I think this is going to be one of my new breakfast staples. I ate 5 of them, Eli ate one! He wasn't so keen on them, but once I put some homemade ketchup on his plate for dipping he was happy to finish it off. The kid loves ketchup. The book recommends eating these as they are, or putting them between bread and eating like a sandwich. That would be good too. Ooo, and I actually remembered to take a picture!
I have a lame point-and-shoot and pretty much ZERO photography knowledge, so I'm always embarrassed to upload photos because I know how amateur they look compared to other blogs I follow. But hey, as long as people know that I'm no photographer and have no aspirations in that direction, I guess I should make at least a little effort to illustrate my posts! My point is, these were yummy and totally delicious. I always fall back on some variation of grains for breakfast, and I really want to make more of an effort to eat less grains. Even though my whole wheat pancakes, homemade granola or yummy oatmeal are quite healthy, I know it's not good to eat too much of it. These came together even faster than pancakes, so I'll be making them again for sure.

Anyway I've rambled enough. I suppose, since this is "Thinner Thursday," I should post some stats and goals here.

Total Pregnancy Weight Gain: 35lbs
Lost so far: 20lbs
Goal 1 (pre-pregnancy weight): 135lbs
Goal 2 (wedding weight): 125lbs

I have a cheap bathroom scale so my weights are kind of guesses, but close enough. I'm linking this post over to Thinner Thursdays on Mommy Miracles. Go check it out!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for linking up! And so sorry for not commenting sooner. My father-in-law passed away soon after I posted that Thinner Thursday blog post and life has been a little different since then. I had to put blogging on the backburner for a couple of weeks. But there will be another Thinner Thursday linkup this week!

    Good for you for getting out and being active! Quite honestly, I still wasn't feeling up for going for long walks that soon after Cameron was born. Heck, I could BARELY walk myself out of the hospital. So I'm proud of you!

    And that breakfast looks delicious! Don't worry about your photography skills at all. It is just nice to see the pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete