Friday, July 1, 2011

Girl Food

I made Pioneer Woman's quesadillas for dinner on Wednesday. I always try to keep some homemade flour tortillas in the freezer to pull out if I want them, so that part was simple. Mine are 100% whole wheat - works just as well as white! For tonight I sliced a red onion and sauteed in butter until soft and brown, then sliced up a package of white mushrooms and sauteed them in butter with a little red wine. Grab a tortilla, top with grated mozzarella, mushrooms and onions and more mozza, top with another tortilla and then cooked them in coconut oil on medium heat, 2 minutes per side. I kept them warm in the oven while I made more.

And they were SO YUMMY. Ok so I loved them a lot more than Cory did, but come on... cheese, caramelized onion and mushrooms cooked in red wine? Does it get better than that? I don't think so! On the side I made a simple little tomato-cucumber-basil salad with a balsamic vinaigrette - just balsamic vinegar, olive oil, sea salt and pepper. Cool, refreshing and very yummy.

It was a good, healthy supper. Now that Baleman's (the farmer's market) is open across the street getting fresh vegetables is a snap. Some are a little more expensive than the grocery store, but if you factor in the cost of driving all the way to town I think it's totally worth it. I can now go a lot longer between grocery trips. Unfortunately, getting cold, sweet, wonderful ice cream is also a snap. This isn't quite as healthy, but I try to resist going more than once a week. Moderation in all things!

No comments:

Post a Comment