Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Happily Employed

I love my job. Let me reiterate: I love my job. I thought that I loved my job when I worked as a bank teller. In hindsight, I really liked that job, but I didn't love it. I LOVE being a stay-at-home wife and mother. I find so much pleasure and fulfillment in keeping house, cooking meals, and taking care of my two boys!

This isn't to say that there aren't moments when I wish that the laundry would fold itself, or that Eli would stop whining, or that we lived closer to take-out. But most of the time I am so happy with my life at home that it doesn't even feel like work to me.

Today, with a cool, fresh breeze blowing in through my windows and my sweet boys down for their nap, I can't imagine anything I would rather do than turn on a sermon and sit and fold laundry. I'm not even being sarcastic!

I never thought I would be this type. My childhood was filled with dreams of motherhood, yes, but also fabulous riches, a big-city life and a house that kept itself clean. Reality is surprisingly much more satisfying.

Can you tell I'm having a good day? My birthday present arrived this morning [and looks like I bought it just in time, the price increased by $50!], my toddler did not have lunch time total meltdown as he has been doing lately, but instead happily ate all of his soup, a large bowl of coleslaw and wanted more!

Life is great.

2 comments:

  1. Emily, this post is so encouraging! I don't know how you do it though! The last couple of days have been better for me, but there are still two loads of clean laundry just waiting to be folded on my couch (better than two more loads being in the dirty clothes pile, I guess), a cake needing to be baked, and more!

    You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The key is... I don't do it all. My husband ran out of underwear today because I hadn't kept up with the laundry. There's always a load in the washer or the dryer or waiting to be folded or put away. And when there isn't, that just means the dirty hamper is overflowing! But I guess I'm just learning not to worry about it too much, and I'm at least keeping my head above water :)

    ReplyDelete