Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Homemade Breakfast Sausage

I love to keep ziploc baggies of pre-cooked, ground breakfast sausage in my freezer. They are so simple to pull out when I want to make a yummy breakfast skillet in the morning, or add some flavour to a lasagna. I have bought it in the store before, but it's quite expensive, and contains corn starch and corn syrup solids and lots of other nasty unidentifiable stuff. Besides, making your own is SO simple and will save you money!

Hot Breakfast Sausage
2lbs ground pork
2 tbsp poultry seasoning
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp brown sugar (or molasses or honey)
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper

What I usually do is just throw all this into a skillet and cook it right away, then cool and freeze in individual baggies. This just saves me the pain of mixing all the spices in by hand. But if you want to make sausage patties, you can stir all this in by hand or with your stand mixer, form into patties and then freeze and/or cook as desired. If you have fresh herbs on hand, you can replace some of the poultry seasoning with that. Sage and thyme are fantastic!

I love the "real" taste of this homemade sausage. It's less fatty too, if you buy lean ground pork. You could get all fancy and grind your own meat - I'm going to try that at some point - but for now just buying the packages is much simpler!

No comments:

Post a Comment