Monday, August 15, 2011

Camping

The view from the front window

This weekend we took a trip to Cory's dad's Camp. If you are like me and don't know what I'm referring to when I say a "camp," I mean a cabin, or cottage. I think it's a New Brunswick thing to call it a "Camp," because growing up in Nova Scotia I had never heard of the expression. We always took trips to the Cabin. But around here, we go to the Camp.

 Theo loves the wrap, asleep almost before I finish tying it!

It's beautiful there. It's a (heart pounding) 20 minute drive in from the road by ATV, over terrain that I had no idea an ATV could go over. There's no electricity, but there's a propane run stove and fridge, gas lights, a chemical toilet and running water from the rain barrels. There's even a battery run TV, and they get better reception than we do! This is good for me, since I'm really not into going without the modern comforts of life. I like the peace and quiet and remoteness of the camp, but I'm not a fan of outhouses.

Cory's Dad manning the grill

Even though we were only there for two nights, we made the most of it. Swimming, a short hike, relaxing, an evening around the bonfire, it was wonderful!

  Eli roasting his first ever marshmallow

Hopefully we'll be able to go back sometime this fall, maybe for Thanksgiving.  In the meantime, I have to unpack everything from our weekend away, wash all our clothes, and re-pack for our trip to Nova Scotia on Wednesday. We'll get back from NS just in time for me to unpack, wash, and re-pack for our trip to PEI. We're going to a Bible conference to see Joshua Harris speak. We're very excited since we probably won't get a chance like this again any time soon - "famous" speakers don't frequent the Maritimes - but Cory is trying to convince me that we should leave Eli with his mother. I'm torn. Part of me knows that if we bring Eli along, I will spend the sessions in the church nursery with him instead of getting to hear the speaker, and he would probably be happier spending a couple days with his Nanny rather than driving 5 hours and going to a conference, but my emotions balk at the thought of my little boy being so far away from me for two days. Nothing is decided yet, we still don't even know if Lynn can take him, but it's going to be hard if we decide to leave him here. I will miss him so very much.

My cool dude, sans pants because he took a dive into the lake fully clothed!


No comments:

Post a Comment