Tuesday, August 23, 2011

My Favourite Cookies


Not a great picture, but these are the cookies I made myself for my birthday this year instead of a cake. They are my favourite cookies of all time. My younger sister makes them for me whenever we come visit and I eat WAY too many of them. Please note that these are not healthy whatsoever. They have no redeeming qualities. If you've followed my blog for any length of time you'll know that I absolutely love taking unhealthy recipes and tweaking them to make them reasonably healthy - replacing sugar with natural sweeteners, using whole wheat flour etc., but not these. These cookies I love in all their terrible unhealthiness. That being said I did use organic sugar and unbleached, organic flour - but that doesn't really help much when using such large quantities of them!

At any rate, here's the recipe. I hope I'm not breaking any copyright laws by posting it here, but it's just too good not to share.

Chocolate Eclipse Cookies

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar

1 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

1 cup white chocolate chips

Beat butter, sugar, brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla until light and creamy.

Combine flour, baking soda and salt. Gradually add to creamed mixture, beating until blended. Divide dough in half.


Stir melted chocolate and semi-sweet chocolate chips into one portion of dough. Stir white chocolate chips into other portion.

Take a small spoonful of each dough and roll together into a 1-inch ball. Place about 2 inches apart on cookie sheet.


Bake at 375 for 8 to 12 minutes or until set. Cool for 5 minutes on cookie sheet, then transfer to rack and cool completely.
Makes about 5 dozen.
And oh man are they ever good. Here's my favourite cookie tip: use parchment paper. I know it can be expensive, but it is completely and totally worth it. The parchment seems to absorb any excess oil from the cookies and leaves you with perfectly chewy crisp cookies every time. 
I had a bit of trouble getting the two doughs to work out evenly, I ended up with 8 or 10 all dark chocolate cookies at the end because I used more of the dark dough than the white. But that's not really a problem. My sister gets it perfect every time. Honestly, her cookies are even better than mine, but mine were pretty good too! 

For a special (special!) treat, these cookies are the best. Hope you give it a try, let me know if you do!

2 comments:

  1. I love your new look Emily, and those cookies ... Yummmmm! Blessing to you and your sweet family :o)

    ReplyDelete