Sunday, September 4, 2011

Baked Soaked Oatmeal


Since you asked me for my Baked Soaked Oatmeal recipe, Holly, this is for you!

Topped with fresh local blueberries and cream... yum!

Soaking oatmeal before cooking is a great way to neutralize phytic acid - an enzyme inhibitor present in most grains - and boost the nutritional value of your breakfast. Plus it just tastes better!

Baked Soaked Oatmeal

The night before, or up to 24 hours before (depending on how good at planning ahead you are), in an 8x8 dish stir together:

2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
1 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup water

In the morning, add and stir together:

2 eggs
1/2 cup melted butter
1/3 cup honey or maple syrup
pinch of salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup "add ins" - fresh or dried fruit, coconut, almonds, chopped apples, even chocolate chips if you so fancy. Or just leave this out entirely. 

Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes. It comes out with a soft, almost bread pudding-like texture. Serve it up warm and treat it like you would oatmeal. Drizzle some maple syrup, pour on the cream, add raisins or berries and enjoy.

Growing Home







14 comments:

  1. Thanks Emm...I'm going to really like this one. A nice variation for us oatmeal junkies :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks a lot better than the oatmeal my little ones eat in the morning! Hope you can link this up to my Homemaking Party :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried your honey mustard salad dressing the other day and it was GREAT! Going to try this one too. Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so yummy! I can't wait to try it! Found you in the link ups!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will be trying this recipe. My daughter eats oatmeal every morning and this sounds yummy! Question: I don't understand what an enzyme inhibitor is and why you need to neutralize grains. Thanks for posting this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is perfect! I've had my eyes open for a soaked baked oatmeal recipe. I will have to try it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Keri: Basically (and I'm no scientist so I'm sure I'm oversimplifying here) the phytic acid naturally present in oatmeal and other grains blocks some of your body's natural enzymes making it harder to digest. Also you won't get as many nutrients. Soaking beforehand sort of "pre-digests" the food so it's easier on the tummy and more nutritious. At least that's how I understand it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This recipe does sound good - even if it has enough butter to give a horse a coronary. If that is the case, why worry about the nutritional value?? I suppose the amount of butter could be reduced drastically without compromising the richness too much. HMBWJU? (How much butter would Jesus use?)

    ReplyDelete
  9. @BILLbuckner I'm afraid you won't find any low-fat recipes on this blog. My goal in making food healthier is to eliminate unnatural, processed fats like canola oil, shortening and margarine, and replace them with healthier fats like butter, olive oil, coconut oil, and yes, even lard! I've done a lot of research in this area and come to the conclusion that our bodies need lots of healthy fats like these, so I always say bring on the butter - but you should do your own research and come to your own conclusions. I'm just not convinced butter is bad for your heart, but rather that the opposite is true.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds super yummy! My kids love oatmeal so we always have a bunch in the house. I will have to try this. It is always great to have a variety of recipes for one item. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. No argument on the quality of various fats, Emily. I was only concerned about the quantity. BTW, I tried the baked oatmeal (albeit with half the butter!). It is indeed delicious. The texture is so much better than the porridge version.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I combined your recipe with one of mine... so I used 3 cups of oats, 1 teaspoon salt, and 2 teaspoons baking powder. I also added 2 cups frozen berries rather than just 1/2 cup. It turned out really well! Thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks delicious! I have also done a lot of research on soaking grains and healthy fats and we have gone the same way you have. I really think soaked oatmeal just tastes a lot better too. It also seems a lot more filling. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete