Thursday, September 8, 2011

A Bicycle Built for Eli

My son has a bit of an obsession. Ok, a huge obsession.

Bikes.

Be it your traditional bicycle, a tricycle, a scooter, a four wheeler, a dirt bike, a motorcycle, a unicycle, or even a ride-on lawn mower they're all "Bike!" and they are all awe-inspiring for my almost-two-year-old. He's fascinated. Transfixed. He can think of nothing else. Well, except for the occasional car or truck. Those catch his attention sometimes, but is quickly usurped by the presence of a bike, real or imaginary.

Luckily for him, we live above a gas station. Several times a day during the summer, there's usually a motorcycle or an ATV parked outside where he can stand at the window and stare at it. Let me present as evidence this short clip of him doing just that.



See what I mean? He gets momentarily distracted by a truck going by, but the bike is the real focus here. Also sorry about the lack of pants. We're still potty training around here.

He's also trained himself to have incredibly sensitive hearing when it comes to motorcycles. He can hear one coming a mile away and will immediately perk up. "Bike!?" he'll say. I'll have to stop and listen since my hearing is not that selective, and nine times out of ten he's right. The other 10% of the time it's just a truck, which is pretty exciting too.

He also likes to play bike. At first he used his little ride on car that he's almost outgrown. Then the back of the couch, then Mommy or Daddy was his bike. Then - now brace yourself, this is kind of sad - the other day I noticed this.



That's the stand for his little piano, in case you were wondering. I didn't catch it on video but he was even making "vroom vroom" noises. Pathetic.

Originally I had thought that I would wait until next summer before getting him a bicycle of his own. Winter is fast approaching and he's still pretty small. But this obsession convinced me to get him one sooner.

That's why I am so excited about what is hiding under a blanket in the spare room. The anticipation is killing me.


His very own little running bicycle. As an added bonus, it was 50% off! Good thing, because these aren't cheap. They're regularly $60! I can tell you I was praising God as I was leaving Sportchek.

I'm not sure I can wait until Tuesday to give this to him. I cannot wait to see the look on his face when we wheel this out, and to hear his chirpy little voice say "Bike!"

This verse came to mind with fresh understanding:

If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him! ~ Matthew 7:11


Now that Cory and I are parents, there is new light shed on this verse. I do know how to give good gifts to my child. I know what he wants, what his passions and desires are, where his interest lies. It's bikes for now, in a few months it will probably be something else, but it's so much fun to be able to give him something that he wants so much. Cory commented when I brought the bike inside and we were hiding it that it really is more blessed to give than to receive. I've always known that verse, but secretly deep down I still really liked receiving. Now I understand how exciting it is to bless someone else, especially when that someone is your sweet little boy who you love with all your heart. 


We're having friends over for lunch after church on Sunday and having a little "party" for Eli. I think we'll bring out the bike then, and let him go riding at the school playground with the bigger boys in the afternoon. I can't wait!

2 comments:

  1. So excited to be able to see his reaction in person on Sunday! I'll have my video camera ready...I hope he doesn't faint or anything ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, I wish I was able to be there for the big unveiling !!!! It's hard to believe your little guy already big enough for his very own bike!!!

    ReplyDelete