Friday, September 16, 2011

Soaked Pumpkin Spice Muffins


Before I start in on the recipe, I have to make something clear here: these are not the prettiest muffins to look at. They're sort of a dingy brown, nondescript colour. But the flavour? Out of this world. 


I'm trying to jump more on the soaked grains bandwagon, not just because they are good for you but also because I'm finding they just taste better. Soft, moist, slightly acidic... YUM.

Inspiration came from this recipe on Kitchen Stewardship for soaked pumpkin muffins, but I had to change it around due to the ingredients I had on hand. I had to change it a lot. I'm running low on butter so I used olive oil.It doesn't taste olive-y at all, it's great, but melted butter would probably give it an even better flavour. I might try that next time. Melted coconut oil would be great too but that stuff is expensive so I tend to hoard it! I didn't want to use sugar (when do I ever?) and thought that the ever-so-slight maple flavour from some real maple syrup would be perfect with the pumpkin. I was right.

After I pulled these pumpkin muffins out of the oven yesterday morning I knew I had hit on a great discovery. These are incredibly soft and moist, sweet and flavourful... I can't praise them enough. And today even though they're a day old they remain just as moist and soft as they were yesterday.

Soaked Pumpkin Muffins


The night before, in a bowl combine:

1 2/3 cups whole grain flour (I used a mix of spelt and kamut because it's what I had but anything would be fine)
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup pumpkin puree
2/3 cup olive oil

Cover and leave in a warm place overnight. In the morning, add:

2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/3 cup maple syrup (I'm guessing because I just poured a bunch in)
1/4 tsp stevia extract
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
pinch nutmeg
pinch cloves
pinch ginger

Spoon into greased muffin tins (I got 15 out of this) and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

You can play around with the spices depending on what you like. You could use more or less of anything, but be generous. These are Pumpkin Spice Muffins, you want to taste the spice! Allspice would be nice too, or you could go the lazy route and just dump in some pre-mixed pumpkin pie spice. Nothing wrong with that!

These were great warm, but I actually liked them even better once they had cooled to room temperature. I've eaten way too many of them already, spread with some homemade cultured butter (recipe coming soon!). They make for a super yummy breakfast with a cup of coffee, a great afternoon snack, or a delicious after dinner treat with a cup of Earl Grey. Hope you try them, let me know if you do!




Growing Home

7 comments:

  1. Yum! My sister is a pumpkin fanatic, and I've been trying to get her to see how tasty real food is. Can't wait to share this with her.

    Can you omit the Stevia? I can't stand the taste of it - could I increase the amount of maple syrup, or maybe just use a sucanat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so good! And festive! I love that it uses whole grain flour. I am always looking for more whole grain recipes that my children will enjoy. I would love it if you would share this on my recipe link-up as well so my readers can benefit from such a great and healthy recipe! Thank you for sharing! (http://the-north-forty.com/2011/09/19/what-do-we-eat-link-up/)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @AmandaZ - I'm sure adding a bit more maple syrup or replacing with sucanat would work just fine. Baking is meant to be experimented with to find what you like best, that's what I was doing when I came up with these :) I find that the taste of Stevia has grown on me and I don't notice it anymore, but I did find it a bit gross in some things at first.

    @TyKes Mom - I'll head right over!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those sound delicious. I am a huge fan of just about anything with pumpkin in it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These sound scrumptious! I may have to try the recipe!

    ReplyDelete