Saturday, October 29, 2011

I Took A Break

Well... it's been a while.

I would like to say that my lack of posting has been due to some sort of spiritual revelation - a new devotion to spending all my time selflessly caring for my family instead of aimlessly wandering around the internet. But that wouldn't exactly be true.

I was, however, a bit too caught up in checking my hits and comments and followers and was getting a bit obsessed. I like blogging, but I don't want to be a "blogger" or make any income off my blog because it's not my passion. I don't want or need the responsibility of coming up with posts all the time in order to keep a following. I do think that it's a great way for some women to supplement their husband's income while staying at home, but it's not for me. I'm exploring other options on that front - perhaps I'll discuss them in a later post.

Anyway, after my initial blogging break of a week or so, this happened.


That's my beloved's hand. Believe it or not it's actually only his pinky finger that was injured, but it was pretty crushed when a piece of machinery at work fell on it, leaving fractures through the whole finger and joints. Because his job is quite physical, he's unable to work for a few weeks and has been home. We were worried that it was going to need plastic surgery to reconstruct the finger, but as of his last appointment the doctor informed us that, while it will never quite look the same, he does not need surgery. Hurrah!

So I've had my husband around for the past several weeks, which has meant less time spent blogging and more time spent looking busy (it's good accountability!). Add to that the fact that I'm currently obsessed with the TV show "Biggest Loser" and spend my free computer time lounging in the recliner eating snacks and watching it (oh the irony...), and my blog has been very much neglected.

But do not worry! Ideas for posts abound, and I want to talk about the fact that I've finally started meal planning. My mom always made detailed meal plans, and I tried it when we were first married and failed miserably. I think the problem back then was that, with no kids, we were more spontaneous and not guaranteed to be home a lot of nights. Plus I was working. Also, I had the idea that it killed creativity in the kitchen. However, last week I made my first meal plan and it was a HUGE load off my mind every day. I knew exactly what was for dinner, I always had any meat thawed, it was fantastic! This week I looked over our schedule and planned a slow cooker meal for the day we have a doctor's appointment. I think this is going to make my life a lot easier. And the food was just as delicious and fun to cook as ever.

Since I've been so neglectful, I'll leave you with this quick pizza idea we had a few weeks ago. It was SO yummy!


And yes, that crust is made with white flour *blushes*. I ran out of whole wheat! Basically, I halved cherry tomatoes, tossed them with a couple cloves of minced garlic, spread them on a baking sheet and roasted at 450 degrees just for 3 or 4 minutes to get some of the water out. Then I spread out my crust and topped with olive oil, salt and pepper, fresh mozzarella, cooked bacon, the tomatoes and garlic from before and a generous amount of freshly grated parmesan. Bake at 450 for 10-15 minutes until hot and bubbly. Yummy!

2 comments:

  1. The pizza was great! White flour is essential every now and again..even for us die-hard wheat mamas!

    So sorry to hear your husband was injured. I pray he is growing stronger each day after his injury.

    I hear you on blogging. I just do not desire to make money off of it..it's a nice creative outlet, but the idea that I could turn it into business, just doesn't compel me. :) I like yours the way it is, as well.

    Meal planning is so essential to a smoothly running home, frugality, etc. I'm so glad you've started, and that it's working for you!

    It's nice to see you back!

    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wondering where you've disappeared to since I redesigned your blog! It's been a long time! If you come up with any money-making schemes from home please share them!

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete