Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Farewell


It was good news and it was bad news.

The good news was that I figured out one of the major triggers of the migraines that I have been battling for years. The bad news? It's chocolate.

You can all weep for me here.

It wouldn't be so bad if it were just an additive or preservative commonly used in chocolate, but no, it's the cocoa itself that seems to be the problem. That means my favourite healthy chocolate fudge recipe is out. It means my evening tryst with a square of organic 85% dark chocolate is very much out. A small amount of cheap milk chocolate is fine, but really, what's the point? I loved the good stuff.

It's at this point that I wish I were allergic to boring things like penicillin or brazil nuts. My husband is allergic to turkey, which is a bit annoying around Thanksgiving/Christmas but really not too much of a burden when you consider he can still eat chicken.

Me? I'm allergic to two things: strawberries and chocolate. Oh the humanity.

Ok, I'm over it now. Done complaining. And really, I whine and protest but in the end I'm so relieved to have finally discovered the trigger for those vicious headaches. I don't know if that's the only cause, but I haven't had one since giving up chocolate.

And in the end it just makes me more thankful that I'm a Christian and have the hope of heaven set before me. To be in the presence of God the Father will be amazing... and to eat chocolate and strawberries at that great feast will be such a joy!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, no fun! But I know how it is. I can't have wheat, gluten or dairy so that cuts out a lot of good things because one of those is almost always lurking in foods, even those you wouldn't think they'd be in. The good news is that we can overcome allergies. Bodies do change, and we may not be allergic forever. The only way to know is to try again in a year or two. Best of everything to you and for tomorrow... Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete