Friday, January 13, 2012

Lesson Learned


Some lessons are only learned the hard way. See that innocent looking pajama-clad two year old sitting on the couch there? For some reason, when I tell him things, he doesn't believe me.

For some reason, he has to experience it on his own.

Last week I was mopping our dining room floor. Eli was in the kitchen, and to walk to the living room you can either go through the dining room, or through the hallway. I warned him repeatedly to stay out of the dining room, since it was slippery. I used that word repeatedly. "Eli, do not step on the floor. Go around. It's slippery."


I could see the gleam in his eye. The stubborn, "I'm going to do it my way" look on his face.

Several times he tried to step out onto the floor only to be confronted with his equally stubborn mommy insisting that he not walk. So he waited until I was mopping on the other side of the room and had my back turned.

He saw his chance and took it.

He bolted across the room as fast as he could. Of course, his bare little feet quickly lost their footing on the slick damp floor and he slid and fell, giving his head a good whack.

I ran to him and scooped him up, half concerned for his well being and half laughing at his obstinacy. He wasn't hurt at all and didn't cry. I held him in my arms and he rubbed his little head, looking shocked.

"I told you not to step on the floor or you would fall Eli!"

Understanding spread across his face. I could see the revelation happening. "Mommy... SLIPPY!" 


That's one way to learn a new word. 

Don't forget about the Blog Design on a Dime e-book giveaway, coming Monday!

2 comments:

  1. Lol our youngest little goose did the same thing last week, but after falling sevral time, she still didn't learn her lesson. She is one detwrmine goose!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yes...learning the hard way...the most common way for many of my kids to learn! It's hard for mama to watch, and hard for children to experience! Yet, with time, it seems they eventually start to BELIEVE mom and dad when they tell them they know they are in for a fall if they don't obey!

    God Bless, and glad his bump wasn't too traumatic! :)

    ReplyDelete