Friday, January 20, 2012

My Favourite Pizza


I think pizza is underrated. It seems that everyone demonizes pizza - blaming it on their inability to loose weight or their poor health. To be sure, pizza from your favourite fast food place or the food court in the mall is terrible stuff. It's loaded with processed ingredients, chemicals, and unhealthy fats. But pizza that you make yourself at home can actually be a great option for several reasons.



  • It's frugal. You don't have to use a lot of meat (which can be pricey). 
  • It's healthy. Make your own crust, top with loads of veggies, and drizzle with healthy olive oil. 
  • It's easy. It comes together fast, cooks quickly and can use whatever leftovers you have in the fridge. 
  • It's popular. I don't know about your family, but when I announce that it's pizza night at our house everybody celebrates! 

My family's favourite is a simple tomato and asparagus pizza that I invented out of the leftovers in our fridge one night. It's become an often-requested favourite!

Read the rest over at Growing Home.




Growing Home

Linking up to Plan to Eat.

5 comments:

  1. I agree people do blame pizza for their weight and how unhealthy it is. I love your way of pizza, looks so yummy. I am coming over for pizza night next time you have one, I will walk from Edmonton if I have to. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. We put asparagus on our pizza too! It's my hasband's favorite veggie :) Are you still eating gluten free? If so, have you found a gf pizza crust recipe? I made regular pizza for my husband the other day, but used slices of eggplant for my pizza "crust" ~ it was nasty lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I made this pizza the other night I just used a pre-made, frozen GF crust for myself on the side. I've decided that gluten is NOT what is causing my eczema (after a month) and weaned myself back onto it with no bad side effects, so I'm back to my regular old whole wheat again.

      I love eggplant but I'll admit, the idea of using it as a pizza crust does sound a bit gross.

      I found a recipe for Paleo pizza once that called for a sort of fried egg "crust". It sounded pretty good but I've never tried it!

      Delete
  3. HI there! Over from Growing Home....Great looking recipe. Your newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete