Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Pesky Little Brother

When Theo was first born, it seemed like it would be forever before my boys would be able to start playing together. My helpless infant went, for the most part, completely ignored by my toddler. Only the occasional bout of the hiccups would spark some interest - "Mum, a Fee hiccuppin?" - or loud crying if we were confined to the car would produce "NO Fee! Dop ky-ing! [stop crying]"

But for the most part, Eli went on his merry way in life oblivious to the new addition.

Slowly but surely, that's changing.

Exhibit A:




This sort of thing happens regularly now. Eli loves to make his little brother laugh. I missed it because I didn't get the camera out in time - but Theo was giggling hysterically. Other favourite laugh-inducers are growling, dancing, and belly-kissing.

Of course, Theo is not just a passive spectator. He too attempts to engage his brother, and already I can see the "annoying little brother" syndrome starting.

My apologies for the continuous lack of pants. It's a daily battle - I usually lose. 

Eli asked me to strap his sword to his side, and then was so proud of himself he wanted a picture taken. Theo didn't want to be left out of the excitement.


A short battle ensued. Rather than intervene, I snapped pictures. They are too cute!


Eli's exasperated look here just kills me.

For the most part, these boys get along famously. But of course there will be some conflict. They're human, and they're brothers.

My hope is that they grow up to be close friends. It might take a long time, but I'm going to do my best to teach them to love and forgive each other.

Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins - 1 Peter 4:8


For those of you that have children, what is your best strategy for helping them get along? I'm going to need all the advice I can get!

PS: Don't forget about the Blog Design on a Dime GIVEAWAY happening now!


Linking up:
A-Wise-Woman-Builds-Her-HomePhotobucket 

2 comments:

  1. This post is so cute, our girls are all 18 months apart and they "are" each other's best friends, but of course they also know how to push each other's button, hehe, but nothing is sweeter then seeing them loving, playing and missing each other.

    My best advice is to leave opportunity to show grace daily and to give forgiveness freely,they will learn by your example how to treat one another.

    Ps I'm no expert, here and I fail many time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm actually waiting for this to happen. Obviously Cassandra isn't here yet, but I'm sure that (Impatient as she can be) the days of Esme and her "Stop it already!" moments are coming!

    It's great that you have a sense of humour over it, though. A number of parents that I know with multiple children are actually quite impatient with those moments when siblings aren't getting along. It'd be bound to happen at some point, though. Not all siblings get along all the time.

    But isn't it great that Eli wants to engage his younger brother? That alone is just a real blessing! :)

    ReplyDelete