Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Family Purpose Statement

I've been reading through Tsh Oxenreider's organizational e-book One Bite at a Time - 52 Projects for Making Life Simpler. It's a great read.

And ok, I haven't really done very many of the projects yet. A few I already did, but mostly I think to myself What a great idea! That would really make life so much simpler! 

And there it stays. 

BUT, Cory and I did sit down together one night and hammer out our family purpose statement. Maybe it's a little corny, but I agree with Tsh that it's important. Sure we might have the same broad goals, but it was really good for us to sit down and ask what those broad goals will look like as they are accomplished through our family. Nobody's family is the same, so no two families will have the same purpose statement. 

We used this website to get us started, then tweaked and changed things around. Here's what we came up with.



Vail Family Purpose Statement

As a family we are at our best when each member of the family is striving to live by grace through faith by the power of the Holy Spirit. 
We will try to prevent times when we attempt to live by our own strength – allowing selfish desires to wage war in our flesh. 
We will find more time with each other to intentionally serve God by serving others. 
We will help each family member by listening, being patient, spurring one another on towards love and good deeds, and by reminding one another of the Gospel. 
 We will help others by giving to and serving in the church, and by practicing hospitality. 
 We will stop procrastinating and start working on: sharing the Gospel with others, fulfilling our God-given roles and "reverse-engineering" our lives. 
 We will be viewed as a family that is tightly knit, compassionate, hospitable, gracious and loving. 
We will constantly renew ourselves by focusing on: worship, exercise, nutrition, learning, and fellowship. 
We will make choices and decisions based on: God’s word, the Holy Spirit’s leading, and wise council. 
We will remember that it is all about Jesus.

That's our statement. It's in a Word document on our computer, but now I need a way to display it

We want it to be visible in our home so that we can point to it regularly. When we want to eat chips and watch TV, we can point to item number eight. When we discipline our children, we can point to the second item. When we have a tough decision to make, we can remind ourselves of the tenth item. 

But I'm NOT creative. I have no idea how to put this up, except maybe to type it up in a pretty font and frame it. That may be what I end up doing, but I would love to find something even prettier. 


If your family has a purpose statement, leave me a link. I'd love to read it! And if you have a good idea for a way to display it, let me know. 


Linking up to: Raising Homemakers, Homemaker's Challenge, Raising Mighty Arrows, Our Simple Country Life

6 comments:

  1. This is awesome. And now I totally feel encouraged to create a mission statement for my own family. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Emily. I so need to get ours written in a good way like you guys did. WE have only filled out the question. But thanks for giving me sort of a challenge of creative ways to display it! I will get back to you on that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had you in mind when I asked the question Katie :) Can't wait to see what you come up with!

      Delete
  3. Hey Emily, A good way to display your mission could be to buy a large canvas from walmart (or an art store), and cover in scrapbook paper or a design of your choice as a highlight background, then handwrite/paint your mission statements on it, or even do multiple smaller canvases that highlight each one (or a couple). Thats what I do with quotes that I feel are inspiring, Michaels has a good selection of cheaper scrapbook or even plain paper that I use to cover my canvases, and I use modge podge to adhere them to the canvas and then just write out in pencil and go over it in paint. They end up looking beautiful and so easy to do.

    ~Robyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like that idea Robyn. Do you wrap the paper around the sides of the canvas? What kind of paint do you use? I just don't know if I could get the writing neat enough to satisfy me...

      Delete
    2. I cut the scrapbook paper into different shapes and kind of papermache it onto the canvas with the modge podge, and I will usually do the edges as well just to make it coherent all over. I buy my paints at Dollarama, I find that they are good enough for me, another idea could be to buy wooden letters and modgepodge more scrapbook paper onto them (which I have done before) and then glue them to the canvas as well, or even use scrapbooking letters which you can get just about anywhere and stick those on for the "important" words that will highlight them, that way not all of it has to be written. I'm not the best at painting letters, but I find with the paint that its not that hard to draw them out and make them kind of fancy that way you can cover up messy lines or such.

      Delete