Tuesday, February 21, 2012

I Bring My Husband Breakfast in Bed

And I'm not going to apologize for it! 

As I was mentally crafting this post in my head I found myself coming up with excuses and explanations as to why I bring my husband his breakfast in bed five days a week so that he wouldn't come across as controlling or egotistical and I wouldn't come across as weak or a pushover.

It looks like this, every morning! [not]


But then I realized that feminism was infecting my mind again.

There's no need to apologize or make excuses for serving our husbands. If my husband brought me breakfast in bed five days a week everyone would think he was the most wonderful man ever born.

But when a woman does it, people assume that her husband forces her too. They would say things like "Make him get his own breakfast!" or "You're not his servant, stand up to him!"

Well no, I'm not his servant. But I am his helper, and breakfast in bed is something that works for our family.

I'm the morning person around here. My alarm goes off at six, and after the initial staggering across the room to turn it off and shaking the fuzz out of my brain, I get excited. From six to seven the dark quiet house is all mine. I snuggle into my housecoat, put on a pot of coffee, curl up in the cozy recliner and it's just me and God for a little while. Then I check my e-mails and/or Facebook, and Eli gets up around seven. He gets to watch Sesame Street when he first gets up, so while he's occupied with Elmo and Big Bird I can unload the dishwasher and make our breakfast smoothies.

Then I can go into our room, turn on the lamp, wake my husband with a kiss and a snuggle and we sit in bed and drink our smoothies together, chatting about the day. Theo usually wakes up around this time and then Eli's show ends and he joins us too. The four of us snuggled in bed together is one of my favourite times of the day. It usually disintegrates into a wrestling match because Eli is incapable of sitting still for very long, but that's fun too!

This works for our family. Cory's not a morning person and struggles to get out of bed in the morning. Bringing him his smoothie in bed has ironed out the huge wrinkle in our lives that was wake-up time. Instead of sitting around the table seething because I told him 20 minutes ago that it was breakfast time!! we have peace and enjoyment.

Obviously this wouldn't work for everybody. But for us, for this season - I bring my husband breakfast in bed. And it's great.

Recipe time!







Cory and I have slightly different tastes, and I'm trying to keep my smoothie dairy free, so here's what we each have every morning. Eli and Theo have Cory's recipe too.

Cory's Banana-Berry Smoothie


1 cup raw cows or goats milk
1/3 cup plain homemade yogurt
2 big handfuls organic baby spinach
1/2 organic banana
1 tbsp ground flax seed
2 tbsp unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup organic frozen raspberries
1/2 cup organic frozen blueberries

Emily's Nut-Berry Smoothies


1 cup organic almond milk
2 big handfuls organic baby spinach
1 tbsp ground flax seed
2 tbsp unsweetened coconut
2 tbsp raw pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup organic frozen raspberries
1/2 cup organic frozen blueberries

You might notice some flaked almonds and half an avacado in the pictures above. I add the almonds if I don't have pumpkin seeds because I love the crunch. I'll throw in half an avacado into my smoothie if I have one, but not all the time. Cory hates avacado, but I hate banana!

What about you? How does breakfast work in your family? Do YOU have a favourite smoothie recipe? Please share!


___________________________________________________________________________


Linking up to: Growing Home, Far Above Rubies, Raising Homemakers, Homemakers Challenge, Raising Mighty Arrows, Time-Warp Wife, An Original Belle

13 comments:

  1. I am hosting a giveaway that ends next week so come and see

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, thank you, thank you for a banana free smoothie recipe!! I am allergic to bananas, but they seem to inhabit EVERY smoothie recipe! We are trying to begin breakfast smoothies in our home, so I really enjoyed this post! I am going to pin your recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same thing when I first started making smoothies - why does EVERY RECIPE CONTAIN BANANAS!? I sometimes say that I'm allergic because it makes it easier. I don't think I'm technically allergic to them, they just make me SUPER nauseous if I accidentally eat something with banana in it. So. Gross.

      Delete
  3. Awesome!! I love the part about how if our husband did that they would be the best husband of the year and when we do it we are looked at as slaves or something. Thanks for reminding me we can do little things to serve and help our husbands.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the way it works for my husband and I too! I actually don't think we've ever had a breakfast at the table. Neither of us are morning people, and when I make breakfast I always just take it to the bedroom and we eat together there. Just makes it easier! Love the smoothie recipes, I've been looking for a good one to try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post!

    I make coffee to wake my husband up (coffee one of his love language lol) he either is not a morning person, so coffee is the only thing that will get him out of bed. We like to eat breakfast as a family, because with the hours that Papa works, that the only meal that we can all eat as a family together.

    Smoothies are the best if mangos are involves in my opinion :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post..it's ALWAYS appropriate to bless others! The smoothies look great, and I'm so glad you are happy to bless your husband in this way..what a wonderful way to start out your day..

    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have always been scared to try smoothies because *gasp* I don't like yogurt! As of lately though, my best friend has been encouraging me to broaden my taste in foods! My first smoothie was at Booster Juice, I tried Strawberry Sunshine! Yummy! Thanks for the recipe! I think we'll be trying these, I only have one question, can you taste the spinach?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely not! I've tried other greens (kale, swiss chard) and find you can taste them a leeeetle bit - though it's not bad - but the baby spinach you can't taste at all. At least not in a "spinachy" way. I love it, if I run out and have to make it without the spinach I really miss it. Plus what a great way to eat like two cups of raw spinach. I like spinach salad, but you can only eat so much before you get tired of chewing!

      Delete
  8. Yes! Don't apologize! I agree... if things were reversed people would think your husband deserved a medal! We LOVE smoothies in our house so I will have to give these ones a try. I am always looking for ways to mix it up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this! I tried making your husband and son's version of the smoothie and I discovered I'm not a big fan of berries! I x-ed the berries and put peanut butter and some frozen peaches instead (as well as the banana). I LOVE it. So smooth and it keeps me full all morning until lunch! That is quite amazing in itself. Thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, thank you for this post. Smoothies are my breaky of choice and I was sitting here thinking maybe I was spoiling my husband by giving him breaky in bed. Now I don't feel so bad. Thanks for sharing the recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. bringing your husband breakfast in bed is sweet and has nothing at all to do with gender equality. i like this post but i think you should remove the line about "feminism" as it is irrelevant and offensive.

    ReplyDelete